While the all new SIDEWINDER 4™ builds upon Castle’s most popular platform, the SIDEWINDER 1/10 SCALE SERIES, it is the first of its kind to run Castle’s newest technology, CRYO-DRIVE™. CRYO-DRIVE™ combines technology from cutting-edge hardware and software advancements to increase thermal performance. COOLER TEMPS mean LONGER RUNS and MORE POWER in your SIDEWINDER 4 setup.
- Waterproof : Yes
- Telemetry Capable : Yes
- Data Logging : No
- Auxiliary Wire : No
- Minimum Input Voltage : 2S
- Maximum Input Voltage : 3S
- Sensored Capable : No
- Recon G6 Certified ESC : No
- ROAR Certified ESC : No
- 2s - 3s LiPo; 6 - 8 cell NiMH use in vehicles up 6.5lbs with battery, ready-to-run.
- Sensorless brushless and/or brushed motor operation.
- Waterproof design ESC and splash resistant 30MM fan*
- 5.0 volts fixed, 2 amps Peak BEC
- Audible alerts for error conditions
- Enhanced drag brake functionality
- Smoother sensorless startups
- Convenient transmitter programming for six common adjustable settings
- Additional settings and software updates available via Windows®-based Castle Link software and USB adapter (sold separately) or via Field Link Card (sold separately)
- Telemetry Link compatible for Futaba® S.BUS2 (sold separately)
- The SIDEWINDER 4 is a versatile ESC and is accepted in a wide variety of applications. Whether throwing dirt, ripping through a corner or steadily dominating the trails, we’ve got you covered!
The Sidewinder 4 is available as:
- ESC only for rock crawling applications with brushed** motor down to 19 turn.
- ESC only for use with your existing Castle 1406, 1410 or 1415 4-Pole brushless motor
- ESC and motor combo packages, bundled with our 1406, 1410 and 1415 4-Pole brushless motors
Now with Cryo-Drive!
Cryo-Drive technology is the result of Castle Creations' software and electrical engineers putting their heads together to improve the thermal performance of the well-known Sidewinder 3 electronic speed control. Castle has developed new software that minimizes the amount of time the ESC's electrical components spend generating heat by optimally controlling which components are being used while driving the motor. This is happening thousands of times per second, which greatly reduces the rate at which the Sidewinder 4 heats up. Overall, the Sidewinder 4 generates heat much slower than previous versions.
This software breakthrough has been coupled with a completely re-designed case. A great deal of time was spent studying fluid dynamics simulations in order to optimize the airflow through the case. Improving the airflow into and out of the case, allows the cooling fan to become more effective. In order to take full advantage of the improved airflow efficiencies, a 44% larger, higher flowrate 30mm fan was selected. The improved case coupled with the 30mm fan significantly increases the Sidewinder 4's ability to remove heat from critical components, such as MOSFETs and capacitors.
By reducing the rate at which the Sidewinder 4 heats up and removing heat more efficiently, Cryo-Drive takes thermal performance to a whole new level. The Sidewinder 4 allows users to push beyond the limits of previous generation Sidewinders by handling higher gear ratios in heavier vehicles with longer runs.
*Not intended for operation while submerged in liquid. If unit is operated in wet conditions, rinse with fresh water to remove dirt or corrosives, then fully dry unit.
**Brushed motors are recommended for rock crawlers (vehicles traveling 3-5mph.) Brushless motors are fine for use with rock racing. If your vehicle is going to be in a bound up situation, very slowly traversing rocks and obstacles, you are running a rock crawler. If you are constantly traveling at 5mph or higher, you have a rock racer.
Castle Link Compatible
With the optional Castle Link USB Programming Kit you can use your Windows™ PC to easily program your controller.
Adjustable settings include:
- Throttle curve
- Braking curve
- Drag brake
- Auto LiPo cutoff
- Punch Control
- Reverse Type
- Motor Type
Additional Castle Link benefits include:
- Access to all firmware updates, including added features sets released from Castle Engineering, at no charge.
- Intuitive Demo Mode capability.
- Ability to save setup profiles for later use.
Combo with Castle 1406-4600KV Motor:
- 2S-3S on 2WD buggies, stadium trucks and touring cars; 2S on 2WD SCTs
Motor Technical Specs:
- Input Voltage Range: 2-3S LiPo
- Kv: 4600
- Max. RPM: 100,000
- Size: Length: 49.5mm
- Diameter: 36mm
- Weight (w/wires): 197g
- Shaft Size: Length: 15mm
- Diameter: 1/8" (3.17mm)
- Mounting Hole Specifications: M3 @ 25mm
- Cooling Fan: Optional- Coming Soon!
- Connectors: 4mm male Castle Bullet Connectors
- Application Guidelines: For 2WD short course trucks on 2s LiPo and geared conservatively.
- 1/10th 2WD Stadium trucks and buggies on 2s for bashing and limited runs on 3s with conservative gearing.
- Great for 1/10th scale on-road cars for 2s and 3s use.
- NOT for use in 4WD short course trucks.
- Please refer to our Gearing Chart for recommended motor, battery and gearing for some of the more popular vehicles on the market.
- Max. Recommended Vehicle Weight: 2.26 kg
Monitor motor temperatures closely; overheating a motor will cause permanent damage to the magnets. Never exceed 180° F on the the motor or ESC.
Water Resistant Design: Routine maintenance is recommended after running in wet conditions. Please refer to this document for running and maintaining motors in wet environments.